Monday, February 6, 2012

Mr. Sun

This is one of my personal favorites.  It was a spur of the moment idea, they tend to be my best, and I finished it in about 3 hours.  I had some clay in the garage and felt the need to create!  This was before I had a slab roller so I created the slab by throwing it at an angle on the (clean) garage floor.  Covered a large alluminum bowl with strips of newspaper (to allow movement and avoid cracking), draped the slab over it and this is what came out.  I had no preconcieved ideas, my best work seems to come from the creative process, not from big plans. 

The piece measures about 2' in diameter
When I sculpt I prefer Cone 6 Raku clay-lots of grog for strength and less shrinkage.
A few appendages have been lost over the years but he has survived all three kids and MANY moves.

No comments:

Post a Comment